Date of birth: 20 September 1967
Place of residence: Dura village, south of Hebron.
Occupation: Nurse and ambulance officer. Ayed has been the deputy director of the Hebron Palestinian Red Crescent Society’s ambulance and emergency services since 1989.
Marital status: Married and father of six
Place of detention: Ketziot Prison
Postal address: Ketziot Prison, P.O. Box 13, Postal Code: 84102, Israel
Follow Ayed’s detention on   data-cke-saved-src=


Ayed Dudeen was arrested at approximately 2 a.m. on 9 August 2011 from his home in Dura village, south of Hebron, when as many as 50 soldiers arrived and surrounded his house. When they entered the house they confiscated computers and phones and, using knives, tore up the furniture before arresting Ayed. His arrest came two months to the day since his release from over three and a half years in administrative detention. During that time, the Military Area Commander had warned Ayed that although he was soon to be released, he would not stay out of prison for more than two months and that his family would not be able to live with him for long. On the night of his arrest on 9 August, the same Military Commander was present at the house and aggressively reminded Ayed that his threat was now being fulfilled. Ayed’s family were not informed at the time of where he was being taken nor of the reasons for his arrest. He was interrogated for two weeks at Ashkelon prison, during which time he was not asked anything about his time outside prison but instead about what political action he was planning to take in relation to the Palestinian Authority’s upcoming bid at the United Nations for state recognition. The Israeli Security Agency (ISA) suggested he take a lie detector test, which Ayed agreed to. However following a consultation with a medical expert the ISA claimed he was not in sufficient health to take the test.
Ayed’s detention did not shield his family from further pressures and harassment by the Israeli military. On the contrary, their home continued to be raided on a regular basis and family members interrogated. On 5 January 2010, for example, the IOF broke into the family home at 12.30 a.m., ransacked it and confiscated Ayed’s laptop, which has yet to be returned. On 22 December 2010, Ayed’s oldest son Hamza was also summoned for interrogation. The intelligence officer conducting the interrogation pressured Hamza to confess that his father’s activities are threat to the family and told him that he is under surveillance and that the IOF knows everything about his studies, social life and movements. During the interrogation Hamza was also threatened with arrest, and repeatedly told that if he was hiding any information about his father, he would also end up in jail. On the night of Ayed’s arrest on 9 August, the house was once again ransacked and various items confiscated including computers and mobile phones.

Ayed’s mother died on 27 December 2010, months after being diagnosed with an aggressive malignant tumor. Despite medical documentation showing the severity of her condition, Ayed was repeatedly denied permission to visit his mother. After her death, he was also denied permission to attend her funeral.



Administrative detention is a procedure that allows the Israeli military to hold detainees indefinitely on secret evidence without charging them or allowing them to stand trial. In the occupied Palestinian West Bank, the Israeli army is authorized to issue administrative detention orders against Palestinian civilians on the basis of Military Order 1651. This order empowers military commanders to detain an individual for up to six month renewable periods if they have “reasonable grounds to presume that the security of the area or public security require the detention.” On or just before the expiry date, the detention order is frequently renewed. This process can be continued indefinitely.

For more information on administrative detention, read Addameer’s report on administrative detention: